What is a 147c Letter?
A 147c letter is used to request the Employee Identification Number of a company. This EIN letter can be requested by the company or a third party looking to verify the company’s EIN.
A 147c letter cannot be used to create an EIN, it only locates an existing EIN and employer name after verifying the company’s information provided.
What Information is Needed for a 147c Letter?
- Virtual/Read Fax Number: We don’t want to say that the IRS is stuck in the dark ages, but it kind of is. They will only send your 147c letter immediately through fax; mailing will take at least 4-6 weeks. It’s best to keep a third-party virtual fax number or a real fax number ready.
- Your tax details
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- The business’ information:
- Phone number
- Full name of the business
Who can Apply for a 147c Letter?
Only the owner or formal representative of a legal entity can request a 147c letter. IRS will not entertain any requests unless they are authorized through a Power of Attorney.
To appoint a power of attorney, the company representative, and the POA must fill For 2848, The Power of Attorney, and the Declaration of Representative form and send it to the IRS.
When you call the IRS, the agent will ask you to email this form to them during the call.
How do I get a 147c Letter from the IRS?
The only way to get a 147c Letter from the IRS is to contact them at 1-800-829-4933. They are open Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
- Select your language preference between English and Spanish
- Select the option for “Employer Identification Number”
- Select the option for “If you already have an EIN, but you can’t remember it”
- You may need to be on hold for 15-25 minutes so keep a snack handy
- Once the IRS agent comes online, let them know that you have a company and need an EIN verification letter from the IRS
- The agent will you some questions to verify your ownership of the business.
- The agent will then give you two options to receive your 147c letter:
- Fax: Choose this one if you need the information urgently, it will be sent immediately.
- Mail: It will take 4-6 weeks to get a copy.
What does a 147c Letter look like?
For all the hoops you need to jump through to get to it, the 147c letter is pretty simple and looks like this.