What Is Diversity Management?
Diversity management is an organizational action taken to promote equality and diversity in the workplace. The ultimate goal is to promote inclusion across employee backgrounds regardless of age, gender, religion, race, or ethnicity.
Importance of Diversity in the Workplace?
Diversity management is crucial to a workplace for several reasons:
- Directs an organization to a path of success
- Allows businesses to attract, recruit and retain top talent
- Bosts employee morale and confidence
- Encourages employees to become innovators
- Employee turnover rate decreases
- Fosters a culture that is open and friendly
- Employees feel confident enough to voice their opinions and concerns
- Stimulates a culture of learning where employees learn about other culture, their traditions, and holidays
- Boosts research and development in the company
- Ensures improvement in customer service
- Establishes new business partnerships and relationships
- Optimizes decision making given the influx of different perspectives
Evolution of Diversity Management in the Workplace
Diversity management has evolved considerably. Previously it was mainly focused on eliminating discrimination during recruitment and emphasized ore on tolerance with the company. However, now employers see it as a key competitive advantage.
Many companies now prefer hiring from across the globe. They encourage employees to share their culture and traditions with the rest of the workplace so that people become aware of their religions and their tradition as well. Businesses now consider multi-cultural holidays and incorporate them in their calendars.
How to Manage Diversity in the Workplace?
Primarily, managing diversity is the sole responsibility of HR. But several companies have departments only dedicated to it. Regardless of whether it’s the HR or other teams looking after diversity management, the core tasks are as follows:
- Create inclusive hiring plans
- Developing training and other learning opportunities for employees
- Encouraging communication among employees
- Organizing multi cultural events to increase company-wide awareness