For every organization that starts working remotely with all their employees, there are a lot of things that have to be considered. The pandemic that started in 2019 has forced almost all organizations to work from remote locations. But on the flip side, it was an opportunity for charismatic leaders to showcase their potential and transform their workplaces.
Let us now see why it is important to understand what charismatic leadership is, and how it can help people in transforming their workplaces.
What is Charismatic Leadership?
Charismatic leadership is practiced by those who rely more on communication skills, charm, knowledge, and persuasiveness over the actual power their position wields.
In the modern business world, where leaders must influence and charm their team, charismatic leadership has become the norm. These leaders can inspire and motivate their employees without any monetary incentives, and with the state of the economy, it is really gaining prominence.
The characteristics of such leaders are usually translated through their speech, work, and actions. They have a unique set of abilities that helps them in overcoming problems quickly, and their charisma makes them highly influential. Many charismatic leaders share the same skills and features, some of which are discussed below.
Skills of Charismatic Leaders
These combinations of skill sets and qualities help them in transforming remote workplaces into interactive and amazing places to work:
Charismatic leaders have an unmatchable creative power. They don’t like doing things the ordinary or traditional way. Rather they choose to pick unique methods and think out of the box. They not only express their skill sets but also inspire people around them to match their energy.
The major power of these charismatic authorities is the ability to show their teammates different ways to think about and solve a problem. They reveal that there are no problems that can defeat your will or creativity. At the same time, they also keep inspiring people who share the same talent. With their expertise and contagious positive approach, not only do they help their team but play a vital part in the success of the organization.
When you think clearly, you speak and do things the same way. Charismatic leadership involves the same premise. People who fall in this category have command over their speech, mind, and actions. They even transform the remote workplace by making communication transparent, clear, and continuous. These leaders practice open communication with their team members and foster an atmosphere where the team doesn’t fear repercussions for mistakes made. In fact, mistakes are merely looked at as stepping stones to success. The leaders designate clear roles to their team and explain their goals but they’re given enough room to come up with their own solutions.
Trustworthy and Safe Work Environment
These leaders have a great sense of how to create a healthy work atmosphere. But they also know the importance of empathy for having a safe workspace for the team. Charismatic business leaders actively create a trustworthy environment where everyone feels comfortable. These people are good listeners, having a willingness to hear every problem and giving ideas to tackle it. It creates a positive ambiance in the organization and works wonders, especially in a remote workplace.
What are the Pros and Cons of Charismatic Leaders at Workplaces?
Is charismatic leadership important to the organization? How many charismatic leaders are good enough, and what if you have too many of them in your workplace? Here are some of the good and bad sides of these leaders at workplaces.
Pros of Charismatic Leaders
- As we have already seen, the presence of charismatic authority acts as a boon for the entire workplace. They not only motivate but inspire workforces that improve their overall productivity.
- They encourage and drive home the importance of teamwork, camaraderie, and collaboration in the entire organization.
- One of their features includes good listening skills that result in complete employee satisfaction. Whatever their queries, doubts, or complaints, it never remains unheard.
- They also create an overwhelmingly positive work environment.
Possible Cons of Charismatic Leaders
- They may sometimes consider themselves the center of the team and begin to exhibit narcissistic tendencies.
- Many famous charismatic leaders might become self-serving because of the importance they get from the people in the workplace.
- They may sometimes choose to lie and cheat their way to positions of influence.
But these are extreme cases where things can go tragically wrong. For the most part, charismatic leaders are empathetic leaders who build personal connections with the team and work towards common goals.
How to be a Charismatic Leader?
Charismatic leaders aim to create a healthy environment in the organization. But that’s not easy, especially when you are in a big firm. But there are some features of a charismatic leader that can be adopted by most managers.
Maturity indeed comes with experience and time. But for a charismatic leader, maturity comes with knowledge. All of this makes them powerful and dependable people in the organization. While working in remote workplaces, when you can’t see people face to face, it counts a lot how you motivate and counsel people to work for you to their full potential.
Humility is known for the way a person treats others. For a leader, it is imperative to respect and treat others equitably. One of the qualities of these charismatic leaders is the ability to listen patiently to everyone, irrespective of their level in the hierarchy. There can be a communication gap or a misunderstanding between two members of a team while working remotely. But these leaders can overcome that situation and are quick to resolve conflicts.
Charisma in a person can exist even without any substance or value. People love and get attracted to the glamorous appearance of these leaders, but what about the values? After some point or the other, people would want something substantial from their leader. It is better to build it from the base. Get substance in your character right from the beginning.
One of the most essential features of a charismatic leader is having confidence in them. Once they start believing in their potential, they keep spreading the same amongst the employees. It’s their confidence that influences and motivates people around them. They should be well aware of their capabilities, and they know what they can achieve. After the self-analysis comes the other part, where they influence and guide others.
What are the Benefits of having a Charismatic Leader in a Remote Workplace?
Now, before hiring a person, the management always considers and rates them. More as an asset than a person. Whenever a leader is hired, the organization analyzes their potential and usefulness to the company. But a charismatic leader is an integral part of the ecosystem, especially in a remote workplace. Here are some benefits of having them in your team:
- Making professional life better and less problematic for the employees.
- Building courage or conviction so that every individual takes ownership of their work.
- The charismatic authorities are open-minded and stand up to the people having a different perspective and opinion.
- Filling the communication gaps between the organization and its employees.
- Boosting the morale of the employees and inspiring them to become better leaders and increase their productivity.
- Promoting team building as well as collaboration.
What are the Important Aspects of a Charismatic Leader?
The final question that comes to our mind is how to become a charismatic leader and transform the workplace. Let us look into them.
Knows How to Build a Connection
Having authority can help you in becoming a successful leader, then you are highly mistaken. Even in this field, you have to step up in your game. It is better to build a connection with your team members and help them expand their interest in teamwork. Don’t make them feel like you are the boss. It will also trigger them to take ownership of their work. This also prevents zoom fatigue to a great extent, know more by clicking here!
Can Become Light and Productive
Survey results claimed that the productivity of the employees increases when the work environment is relaxed. All the top-quality leaders do the same for their team. They create a bubble environment for their team which is light and relaxed. Keeping the tension at bay, people can focus on their work, and that helps the members of the team to perform well.
Should know How to Trigger Honesty and Trustworthiness in People
Honesty and trustworthiness are two critical attributes in life and an organization. These two qualities are going to help people in your team get to a better position. As a leader, you too have to nurture these qualities inside yourself. But they come with experience and time. If you have both of these, remain assured you have two sought-after charismatic leadership qualities within you. It is going to help you in becoming an inspiring leader.
Examples of Charismatic Leaders
We have been talking about charismatic authorities right from the beginning but haven’t yet given a single name. Here are some leaders who you can follow and learn from. These people have worked a lot on their skills in their particular fields. Here are some examples of charismatic leaders:
- Jeff Bezos- One of the richest men in the 21st century and also the founder of Amazon Inc is a person who has created the largest e-commerce business in the world.
- Elon Musk- A man with ambition and knowledge. He is a person who inspires people with his words as well as actions. What makes him a person to look up to is his personality and how he motivates people to make a difference in the world.
- Warren Buffet- If you want to motivate yourself and understand how to gain wealth, you should follow Warren Buffet. He is not just a charismatic leader but much more than that.
- Bill Gates- The founder of Microsoft is also a man with a charismatic personality. He not only motivates people to think beyond their wildest dreams but is also a philanthropist.
To wrap this up, you need to understand that those who have the potential of persuading, motivating, and influencing people are known as charismatic leaders. These people have the ability and charm to boost the productivity of every individual that also improve the overall productivity of the organization.