Released in 2017, MS Teams has grown to become a communication hub for many businesses around the world. It integrates with many of the services of the Microsoft 365 suite. MS Teams offers its users:
- Meetings and video conferences
- Conversations with your team
- File storage
- Create, share and edit content
Even if you don’t buy the paid versions of MS Teams, you will still have access to many key features in the Free plan. So, yes, Microsoft Teams is free till your business requires additional features.
Microsoft Teams Free Version
Features in the Microsoft Teams Free Version
The Free Version of MS Teams includes the following features:
- Chat messages and search option
- A built-in audio and video call feature for a duration of up to 60 minutes for your team. Microsoft Teams meetings have a time limit of 30 hours.
- Up to 100 participants in each meeting
- Easy file sharing and 5GB data storage for each user
- Unlimited group meetings for up to 60 minutes
- Data encryption for meetings, chats, calls, and files so whether you communicate with someone inside or outside your organization, it offers great security
- Live captioning of meetings in English
Features that are not in the Free Version
- You can’t record meetings in the free version
- Additional app integrations
- Advances IT and greater compliance
- Additional storage
- Webinar hosting
- Meeting live captioning in other languages
Who can use the Free Version of MS Teams?
- Anyone who has a valid email ID can access the free version.
- If a user of an existing Microsoft 365 commercial plan tries to sign up for free, they will be redirected to a managed account for their existing plan.
Microsoft Teams Paid Plans
MS Teams offers four different types of paid plans:
- Microsoft Teams Essentials: $4 per user/month
- Microsoft 365 Business Basic: $6 per user/month
- Microsoft 365 Business Standard: $12.50 per user/month
- Office 365 E3: $20 user/month
In each pricing tier, you get the features of the previous one along with additional features. For a snapshot of the features, have a look at the image below.
Features in Business Basic and Business Standard Versions
MS Teams offers more robust features in its paid plans:
- There’s no limit to the number of people that can be added to the Enterprise Plan
- The paid version offers users storage of 1TB per user which admins can increase to 5 TB per user
- In addition, users can record video meetings and voice calls
- The Business Basic Plan is best for businesses that need easy remote solutions, with Microsoft Teams, secure cloud storage, and Office Online (this doesn’t include desktop versions)
- The Standard Business Plan is Best for businesses that need full remote work and collaboration tools including Microsoft Teams, secure cloud storage, business email, and premium Office applications across devices
Features of Office 365 E3
- This is the true full version of MS Teams
- All features of Microsoft 365 Business Standard
- Up to 500,000 users
- Host online events for up to 10,000 people
- Unlimited cloud storage
- Protect your data with greater security
- Free FastTrack deployment support with 150+ seats
To conclude, Microsft Teams does offer a free version that can be upgraded to fit the needs of growing businesses.